Haraya

Imagine

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

I Can't Still See the Elephant in The Boa Constrictor Drawing (The Little Prince Book Review)

The Little Prince, a Novella by Antoine de Saint-Exupery


I don't know if I had the only guess, that when currently reading this book, the style had linked me to those of Paulo Coelho in The Alchemist. And my guess is that, Paulo Coelho was so much influenced by Antoine de Saint-Exupery's The Little Prince. None other than, of course, the The Little Prince and The Alchemist story's setting is in the middle of no-where in the desert.


Reading The Little Prince make me hate the mentality of the grown-ups. It brings me back to my younger days, even if today, I am still 17, I have the sympathy of the persona of the book, I am little like grown-ups; sometimes thinking about the matters of consequences.


This is a wakeup call for all of us who were "little" like grown-ups. I assume, that the person who read this (the book), will only have two reflections: first is "I am guilty that I am always thinking of the matter of consequences, and for that, I am a grown-up", second is "I am happy that, I can still see the sheep beyond the walls of the box”. I think I am still in the second one.


The reality that the Little Prince was written decades and decades ago, I prove this timeless. The metaphor, in my perception, in this novella, is when the Geographer tells he will not record things ephemeral as the flower. My theory is that, this is Antoine de Saint-Exupery's perennialism. There's no question, even reading today, you will think of the "matter of consequences" of it as, it will never became too old. 


I had known for sure this idea, that one of sign of a good book is that you need to pause for a while when you have read something elegantly written. As if, you're confronting your soul, and its connection to the words. The Little Prince is full of these pause phenomena, the orgasm brought by the idea.



And honestly, I can’t see the elephant on the first picture of the boa constrictor! 

No comments:

Post a Comment