Haraya

Imagine

Monday, May 22, 2017

Music Spirituality: The Darbuka Drum


 The darbuka, also called doumbek or derbeki, is a traditional goblet-drum known for being the foremost percussion instrument in Middle Eastern music.(Sacred Arts Reasearch Foundation)



It started, like how all magical things started, from a song (imitating the opening line of Neil Gaiman’s Anansi Boys. Haha). The song is Dumaan Ako, it was a poem by late Maningning Miclat and then later transformed into a song by Joey Ayala, my favorite song.


What makes a favorite song? I really don’t know. It is a spiritual thing, and maybe, a mixture of the spiritual pleasures the song elements triggers, intrigues, and touches our senses. It’s seeing an elegant tree, a perfect flower, a beautiful morning. A first kiss maybe, a sweet hug in a very rainy night, a smile from a crush. These things are indescribable, as is proclaimed by another song by Pinikpikan “Walang hangganan ang lakbay ng diwa, ‘wag mo na lang pilipiting alamin pa” (our consciousness has no place of limits, don’t force yourself to understand) What I can elaborate now is how the lyrics of Dumaan Ako touched me.



Look at these lines: “Kung mag-isa ako ay ‘wag nang isipin. Sa dilim ay dapat pa akong hanapin. Habang may luha ay ‘wag pang ibigin. Sa pangarap ko ay ‘wag nang gisingin. Kaya kong maghintay sa mga tula mo, at makinig sa awit mula sa kabilang dako. At sa paglalakad sa lilim ng mga puno, matutuklasan ang laman ng pusong malayo” (Don’t mind me when all alone. I am still needed in the dark to be found. I still have tears, so don’t love me. Don’t wake me up on my dreams. I can wait for your poems, and listen for your song on the other side. And as I walk under these trees, you will discover the burdens of this heart that is away.)

Where on earth can I find a poem as lovely as this? It captivated me. It’s a combination of a favorite song and a poem. It’s a budget meal, a Gemini; it’s a feeling of eating your favorite food while in favorite place.

But if there is still an element of this Dumaan Ako experience that is more worthy to note, it is the arrangements and the musical accompaniments.  The simplicity and elegance of Cynthia Alexander’s version of Dumaan Ako soon permanently changed my standard on considering a song beautiful. This performance is what beautiful really means. That was about three years ago, when I first noticed a peculiar percussion instrument, a hand drum played using hands to be specific. The instruments sang to me alongside the violin, a shaker made of goat horns that mimic that sound of falling water (the sound of this shaker when played alongside violin is very eargasmic), keyboard, the voice of Joey Ayala and her sister Cynthia, and acoustic guitar (beautifully and skillfully played by Cynthia Alexander herself). The name of the hand drum is Darbuka. At first I don’t know its name, but by inquiring a player of this instrument, I discovered and searched for it on the internet.

The sound of the Darbuka when I first heard it reverberated in my soul. I am a drummer the time I first heard it, and man, Darbuka satisfied me unlike a typical full-set drum. I now began to think of me playing it, and owning one.

I was informed by researching on internet that the Darbuka is native in Middle East Asian countries specifically Egypt and Saudi.

My father is an overseas worker in Saudi for nearly 6 years so I told him to look out for this specific drum. He said, oo naman sige pangako ko ihahanap kita niyan (sure I’ll find you one). But the search is not that easy as it was expected. He tells everyone he knew for them to help him in finding the drum but majority of these people said “Ay malabo kang makahanap niyan” (You have a very little chance of finding one). But he don’t mind, he looked for it at every corner of the places he went, and even when he sees one - the musicians who owned it don’t want to let the drum be taken away by a Filipino stranger. One day he saw a Darbuka for the very first time. It was owned by a wealthy Arabian man. He happily lifted it for the joy of seeing and the owner smiled at him. He told the Arabian that he is looking for the instrument for a very long time. The man said that he really wants to give it to my father but the Darbuka is very valuable to his family because he inherited it from his fourth generation ancestor.
       [My father holding the Darbuka the day he bought it]

We waited and waited, until one day a man approached him saying that he is selling a used Darbuka. After a very long time of searching, he finally found a darbuka, not a brand new, but a vintage and used one at least.

All the magic of playing this hand drum started. It now became another element of my life as a musician. 

Listen to my songs featuring the Darbuka drum here:


No comments:

Post a Comment